Tuesday 17 April 2012

What the fat!?!

Picture this.  Two overweight women go to a restaurant for lunch.  They order cuppacinos with cream.  For lunch they have steak, with a blob of butter on top.  They have a side salad instead of the fries, but ask for full fat mayonnaise. The waiter is looking at them with that expression that I now know very well.  That look that says...don't you know fat makes fat?  Why would an overweight person order cream? And butter? Surely that is a heart attack waiting to happen?

Well, not too long ago, that is how I thought too, and millions of other people with me.  Fat makes fat my Mom and Grandma used to say, so it was skim milk and fat free cheese (which by the way was so hard you could barely chew it) and fat free yoghurt, cream on special occasions only, red meat only once a week.  Fat was the enemy, carbs your friend, you name it, wholewheat bread, breakfast cereal, muesli, pasta, potatoes, rice, porridge....and all this thinking supported by that wonderful food triangle with the basis of your diet firmly rooted amongst the carbs (and big business making millions with each mouthful).  With that said, and no disrespect to my dear Mom and those millions of people who have been taught that this is the way to eat and to care for your family, that kind of diet is just plain toxic. 

Why do you ask?  How can you make that claim?  Well, I'm going to give you the heads up.  Because a revolution is coming. Scientists, nutritionists and dieticians all over the world are heralding the call for a change in the way we see nutrition.  Famous scientists and health professionals are revoking previous advice and cautioning people to open their minds to this revolution.  The revolution is Low Carb High Fat (LCHF).  It means you eat less carbs along with a higher proportion of fat. It means minimizing your intake of sugar and starches. Doing this means that you get to eat delicious food and don't calorie-count and lose weight! In fact, LCHF makes it easier to lose weight and to control your blood sugar too (further information on the science is available on www.dietdoctor.com and www.lifezone.se ).

Whilst I'm no scientist, nutritionist or dietician, I am someone that has struggled with their weight for as long as I can remember, someone that suffers with insulin resistance because of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and someone that has become disillusioned with diet after diet and nothing seems to work.  So hungry on a low calorie diet that it felt like my stomach was a black hole.  Experiencing those agonising moments when stepping onto the scale not wanting to look down at the numbers because of being so scared that they are not going to be less.  And then they are not less.  But that was then and this is now. Out with the old and in with the new! Conventional, tried and trusted methods and collective "wisdom" have just made things worse and not better, so I say, "why the fat stick with that"?

As I said in my last blog, I'm not a believer in a quick fix.  I believe that your health takes lots of hard work and that to truly see lasting results you need to change your lifestyle.  LCHF has made me a believer again.  A believer in me and that my body can change and that I can be fit and I can be healthy and feel fantastic.  And I can tell you, person to person, this is the most important of all.  Self belief, confidence and a healthy body image are all attainable goals and I intend on reaching those goals. 

I will share my progress on a weekly basis and hope to be, no WILL BE the proof that all the skeptics can put in their puddings, and eat! So there!

Yours in love handles,
xx


7 comments:

  1. Congrats on taking this step towards healthy lifestyle,I know you will go all the way,you will have to teach me to do "it your way" xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you loud and clear. Loving life #LCHF style. Here's to living la vie da lo carb :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle McLeod24 April 2012 at 11:21

    Lundz, you have such a way with words and your gentleness and genuine caring for others just comes shining through. I will become an avid follower of your blog. Thanks for all the trouble and it has been my pleasure to be part of the POA. Since the start in January of our group, I have lost 20 kgs and gained some wonderful friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mich, your words mean the world to me and I treasure the time we spend together! Upwards and onwards I say!! Xx

      Delete
  4. I read about you on the LCHF-blog www.lifezone.se - a blog by a woman who is from South Africa and who has been living in Sweden for many years.
    What you wrote about the fat ladies at the restaurant was so well written *lol*, just give it 10 years or so and you won´t find a single product in the groceriestore with the word "light" written on it:). The worst thing about the fear of fat must be the bad nutricional advice diabetics get (at least here in Finland); they should avoid animal fat, eat 6-8 lofs of bread each day, light products, favor vegetable oils and so on. Wonder how many tens of thousands if not more people have been killes by these horribly ignorant dietists...
    But many within the health sector have become aware of the benefits of LCHF. I´m pregnant with my 3rd child now and the midwife actually encouraged me to eat low carb and high fat! I am nearly 4 months pregnant and have gained only 1.5kg and that happened during the first weeks, I haven´t gained any more yet. (I wweigh over 100kgs so I really do not need to gain any weight while pregnant)
    Anyway-lots of luck with your new lifestyle!! I hope you will stick to it and that kilos will be be shed:)
    -Anna, Southern Finland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anna,
      Thank you so much for your comment! Yes, I agree, a revolution is coming and I feel like my eyes have been opened! Congrats on your pregnancy and all the best all the way through! I will most definitely stick to LCHF and keep blogging about it!
      Yours in Love Handles
      Xx

      Delete
  5. love youe thoughts and keep spreading the word! :)

    ReplyDelete